International News Digest

FEBRUARY 7

Pierre Huyghe has been named winner of this year’s Roswitha Haftmann Prize, according to Der Standard. The award comes with over $120,000 in cash. Huyghe will be fêted at an award ceremony at the Kunsthaus Zurich in May. Previous winners span from Cindy Sherman and Carl Andre (who won in 2012 and 2011 respectively) to Walter De Maria, who in 2001 was the first artist recognized by the prize.

Meanwhile, a decidedly newer prize, the Marta Contemporary Art Award, has announced its first winner: Rosa Barba. According to Der Standard, Barba, who exhibited at the Venice Biennale in 2009, receives about $30,000 and has been commissioned to create a piece for Marta’s collection.

Javier Pes and Ermanno Rivetti reported in the Art Newspaper that British museums have seen severe cuts in staff, as the museums restructure in the face of significan budget cuts. Thirty-two positions have evaporated at the British Museum since 2010, including two curatorial jobs, while forty-three and twenty-one posts at the Tate and at the Victoria and Albert Museum respectively have disappeared over the past three years. Meanwhile, in 2011 through 2012, twenty staff members at the National Gallery accepted “voluntary redundancy packages.” The director of the Museums Association, Mark Taylor, said, “I think it’s inevitable, as museums are so labor intensive,” adding, “Redundancies don’t happen with any great fanfare; you hear about them in whispers.”

Three paintings depicting Hindu gods and goddesses in the nude were removed last week from the art gallery of Chitrakala Parishath in Bangalore, in accordance with the demands of police and protesters. Arvind Sainath Krishnamani, the creator of the works, had rented the space from the gallery. According to the Times of India, a gallery administrator said, “On receiving phone calls from the public that they would stage dharna [peaceful protest] . . . if the paintings sacrilegious to Hindu sentiments are not removed, and [on] request from the jurisdictional police, we asked the artist to remove the three nude paintings.” The other thirty-seven works remain on view.