International News Digest

JANUARY 21

ArtNexus.com noted that Rodrigo Moura has been named the new director of art and cultural programs at the Inhotim Institute. He will be replacing Eungie Joo, who left her position to focus on curating the 2015 Sharjah Biennale. Moura has worked at Inhotim since 2004, acquiring works and overseeing site-specific projects by Jorge Macchi and Rivane Neuenschwander. He also previously worked as curator at the Pampulha Art Museum. Inhotim was founded by mining magnate Bernardo Paz in southeastern Brazil near Belo Horizonte.

This past Sunday, at the Kunstmuseum Celle, Otto Piene received the inaugural Deutsche Lichtkunstpreis, according to the Schleswig-Holsteinischer Zeitungsverlag. The prize, which comes with $13,000, recognizes the cofounder of the group Zero and new-media pioneer for his use of light in his oeuvre, including his optical-aesthetic work at the MIT media labs in Boston. “The Deutsche Lichtkunstpreis is especially significant to my knowledge: the first and only of its kind,” said Piene. The prize will be awarded every two years.

Sotheby’s has chosen to stand its ground, asserting that an ancient Chinese scroll it sold in September for $8.2 million is authentic, according to David Barboza of the New York Times. The auction house issued a fourteen-page report in Chinese detailing its evidence that the artifact it sold is indeed by Song Dynasty poet Su Shi. The report came after a group of art historians affiliated with the state-run Shanghai Museum declared the work a nineteenth-century forgery, according to Xinmin, which detailed the evidence compiled by the scholars. As Barboza noted, “If the work were deemed a forgery it would be a major setback for Sotheby’s, which is expanding in China and promoting its high standard of expertise in a fast-growing auction market here that has been plagued by fakes.”

Deutsche Welle reported that the Victoria and Albert Museum will be publishing online the only surviving copy of Entartete Kunst—the list of over 16,000 “degenerate art” objects compiled by art historian Rolf Hetsch under the command of Hitler. “It is almost embarrassing that the list has not been published until now,” said Martin Roth, the German director of the V&A. As many have noted, the decision to publish the list is particularly resonant after a new cache of Nazi-looted works was discovered in Munich last November.